July

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis


Monday, May 18, 2009

Happy Birthday!

May 8th was hubby's birthday. We usually have a party, though this year it was a little tough to schedule. I work late Friday nights, we both work Saturdays, leaving us Sunday off together and the Sunday after his birthday was Mother's Day. Now I'm not a mother, so it doesn't affect us, but most of our friends are any more so it makes it a little difficult to plan around. With all that in mind we had the official party yesterday, more than a week after his birthday. We had fun with a couple friends, grilling and playing games.

When we started to talk about a party, I asked hubby what kind of cake he would like. After some deliberation, he declared "Funfetti! With funfetti icing as well." 'Okay,' I thought, 'That's easy enough.' But I should have know, when it comes to cakes, I never take the easy route. I love to make cakes. I've even considered taking some cake decorating classes, though I'm doing fairly well on my own. So this last week I starting thinking of a fun way to decorate his cake. Wednesday I came up with a superb idea.... Those of you who know my hubby well, know how big of a fan of superman he is. I like to call him my own personal superman. Every holiday I try to get him a new superman t-shirt. I think the total is about 10 different t-shirts now. Anyway, that in mind I decided it would be fun to make him a superman cake. The problem became when I could make it. I work till 7 every night, not getting home till about 8:30. When could I make him the sweet cake? Friday night on my way home from work I stopped and picked up the mix (I don't make cake from scratch usually, that takes way more time) thinking I maybe could get it in the oven so it would be cooled for me to decorate on Saturday. That didn't happen. So Saturday I left work about half hour early (on Saturdays that means 5), got home and got started making cakes. Only I realized I was 3 eggs short! So while one was in the oven I ran to the store for more eggs and got home with 8 minutes left on the timer. Wheew! The cakes got baked, cooled, and then I started to decorate them about 9 o'clock. I am a procrastinator so I knew they would get done, just super late! :) The poor dog didn't get his walk that night and the house was cleaned by hubby when he got home from work. :)

Since hubby wanted the funfetti icing and I was going to use fondant, the sprinkles couldn't be on the top and sides of the cake. I decided what better way then to have the funfetti icing be the filling between the two layers! It turned out wonderfully. I stacked, cut, shaped, and got the white fondant on the cake! I wanted it to be blue, but I had a bad time dying the fondant when I made my bowling alley cake, so I bought icing dye that's spray on! I had to cover the area around the cake with paper, since it is basically a spray paint type stuff. It is the coolest stuff, got the cake nice and blue! Only it misted out past the paper and turned EVERYTHING in my kitchen a nice shade of blue, even the insides of our noses (allergy season, need I say more).

After that dried, I got to work creating the superman symbol. That was kind of a trial and error process, but finally it was completed! It was midnight, the kitchen was a disaster. It had been frustrating, time consuming, and a little ridiculous at times, but hubby LOVED it and everyone at the party was impressed. That made it all worth while. :) See what you think.

This was at about 11:30, almost done! Do you see the superman t-shirt I'm working off of hanging from the cupboard. :)

Completed!!! Isn't it cool!?! The "S" wasn't quite right, but I couldn't seem to get it right without redoing the whole thing, and I wasn't about to do that! :)


And hubby loved it, which is all that really mattered! :) Happy Birthday love!

1 comment:

Kim Pace said...

Good job! I used that spray on Asher's b-day cakes last year - only it was on regular frosting and it was so hot that the icing was melting, but it worked out ok. Nice job!