July

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis


Sunday, May 3, 2009

Still alive and kickin'

Do you ever have those periods in life, where it all just gets away from you? Well, the last month and a half have been that for us. But, as I finally typed the last answer to the last of my 13 "Points of Doctrine" essay questions on the last page of my 13 page application for AMF, I feel that I can breath again. It seemed over the last 2 months since Hubby and I started this process, every time I sat down at the computer I was so over come with the sensation of needing to be working on that application that I would freak out, turn off the computer and walk away. Hence the lack of posts. But it's done!!!! We both sent in our applications at 6:36 this evening and even have the 1st draft of our job description in along with our preliminary budget. How crazy is that?



So, here's an update of the past month and a half.
  • I got certified as an Activities Director. Thirty six classroom hours, 2 hours of studying, and an hour on a test - I walked away with a 100% on my test and my certificate. I'm still the Activities Assistant, but I got a pay raise! :)

  • Ile (pronounced Illie) hit her 100,000 mile mark. I'll never forget the day I got her. I was so proud! She only had about 20,000 miles on her then. 5 years later, three trips half way across the country, and many happy memories later, she's still going strong. I love my Neon.

  • We got a pupper (thanks for the word Gram)!!! Oliver McGuffin joined our family on March 29th. He is a 1 & 1/2 year old cocker spaniel. We couldn't have found a more perfect match.

  • We discovered that having a dog is kind of like having a child, yet not quite. It's easier in the aspect that he can stay home all day without a babysitter. Harder in that some people can't have pets in their homes - so overnight trips are a little harder to maneuver. In the same aspect as having a child, this dog is getting photos taken constantly, videos of the funny moments, and all his antics are told to friends (sorry, you get them too). He LOVES doggie tooth paste. He wants to eat the toothbrush as soon as he sees it and will literally climb Hubby to get it. He also doesn't like his feet wet - what a strange dog.

  • Activities Day was celebrated at work with a trip to Bullwinkle's Family Fun Center. Corbetto, Stephanie and I played miniature golf together then shot at each other lazer tag style. And to cool down we rocked a little Guitar Hero!

  • Easter came and with it the joy of dying Easter eggs, which I quite thoroughly enjoyed with my residents. They can dye a mean egg.

  • Hubby and I took our annual Easter picture.

  • Then attempted many with the dog who won't sit still.

  • Easter was also spent catching up with old friends. We headed up to Portland and got to hang out with our old small group and then a couple from seminary. It's always nice to be with friends. During the time with the Searights we discovered that while Oliver is scared of adults and will bark and bark; he's really GREAT with kids. Their 10 month old was able to pull his paws, take his toy and just generally chase him around with resulting kisses and a new best friend (which also may have to do with the fact that while she got dinner, he got the droppings).

  • Since I work on Saturdays, my husband has started taking the dog on garage sale tours during their morning walks. I now have a recliner that was purchased for $10 and a patio furniture set ($35) that needs a little bit of TLC. I can't say I'm complaining though. I was very excited about the patio set. :)

This has been a productive post. I hadn't realized how much had gone on in the last two months. It's a good thing I take pictures or I never would have remembered all that. I've decided to leave you with a video of our crazy dog. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Brett and Cindy said...

When I joined AMF the application was 20 pages long and I had to walk three miles in the snow to send it to my RD!