July

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis


Sunday, January 4, 2009

What a week and a half...

Since Christmas, life has been a whirl wind.

Friday morning - the day after Christmas - I was awakened at 6 am by my father yelling for my help. As I ran up the stairs I found my mom on the couch looking like she was going to die. I soon found out my dad had called the ambulance because she was in so much pain. Upon arriving at the ER and dealing with an idiot DR it was discovered that her colon had ruptured and she needed emergency surgery. 2 hours later the surgeon found us huddled in the waiting room, she had come through surgery just fine.

Soon after hearing that news I was home to clean and make room for my brother Ben, his girlfriend Callie and his daughter Bella's arrival. I picked up my dad on the way to the airport from the hospital where he had been kicked out of ICU.

The days that followed included trips to the hopspital to visit Mom and trying to entertain a 2 1/2 year old in the ICU waiting room.



A second Christmas


A trip to zoo lights with siblings, significant others, a niece, a nephew, Dad, and two cousins.



A surprise birthday dinner for Dad.


An intense late night of Wii.


A trip to the candy factory only to discover their power was out and all tours were canceled.


A trip to the Invesco at Mile High Stadium.

An unforgettable night at Casa Bonita.

And many, many games of Settlers of Catan. So many in fact that my brother is now an addict to the computer game. And Callie is needing to buy it to play with her family.
On New Years eve it was back to the airport for the family. I was sad to see them go, but I think the dog was excited to not have a little girl chasing her all over the house.
New Years eve night brought Shelisa, Brandon and the baby back for home made pizza, Settlers and Pizooki! Lots of laughter was had by all.

I woke up New Years day with a cold thanks to Ben and spent the day curled up on the couch not moving and watched a lot of football with Dad.

Mom finally came home late Friday night. She's still in pain but doing a little better each day.

Saturday was a day to relax. I spent most of the day cleaning our basement and just hanging out. I watched a couple episodes of Friends and played some card games with Hubby once he was home.

Today is more of the same. Thank goodness I survived this holiday season. ;)

3 comments:

Brett and Cindy said...

Mel, Great Pictures! It looked like some fun was had. I have spent a couple of holidays in the hospital...no fun! Brett had to entertain Andrew in the waiting room. ick. I am glad that it is about over AND so thankful that you and Mike were there to help out the 'rents.
Love you!

Kim Pace said...

Hey, I'm glad someone was there to help your Mom! And I've been to Casa Bonita! Our band tour was to Denver my sr year. Fun place.

Rachel Ollivant said...

Glad to hear that your mom is doing better!

I haven't played Settlers in forever...you have inspired me to go nag Trent & Saundra to pull out their game and play with us!

Casa Bonita...do I remember that from a South Park?